Monday, April 11, 2011

The silver lining:)

"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather is one of those things that give value to survival." - C. S. Lewis

Friendships seem so hard for special needs parents. A lot of people I know complain that people seem to disappear once they have a child with special needs. We have had that to a certain degree but I have had a lot of great people support us through all of this. It makes my heart happy knowing that people care. Sometimes it feels like this situation has consumed us. I worry that all people see us as are "the sick family". They don't see the normal everyday stuff we go through. My hope is that each person will see that we are more than just our illnesses...that people will see our value.
We have been so blessed in so many ways and I hope people see that too. I have had several people say, "I don't know how you do this." or "How do you keep it all together?". I think we do what every other special needs family does. We keep on going for each other. Life is hard for everyone. Our struggles may be different from others but everyone has struggles. I amazed by the strength of so many others. It is truly inspiring. I have learned from so many others: that you have the illness, it doesn't have you.
We never expect life to be what it is sometimes. I never thought I would watch my husband try to teach my daughter to be brave for her port flush by him trying with all his might not to pass out from injecting medicine into himself. I never thought I would have to rush home to help hold my daughter down so she could have her port flush...I didn't even know what a port was till she came along. I never thought my 8 year old would even know the words spinal lesion...never-mind tell someone she was having a MRI to look for them. But we have learned so much from all of this. My kids are compassionate little people because they have been through so much. Their strength and compassion inspires me!!

1 comment:

Dana K said...

Darby & I were talking about how it can be difficult to maintain friendships sometimes. I've gravitated a lot towards other "special needs" families because, even though the needs are different. We all seem to have a base level of compassion for each other. We understand why play dates have to be cancelled last minute, why we have to cut dinner short, & why someone else's sneezing child puts us on high alert.